Sunday, October 23, 2005

Things I Realized Today

1. Josh and I have the least glamourous lives of anyone in our complex. Every time we go to an open house in our development, we see pictures of the owners posing with presidents, or framed holiday cards sent to the owners by presidents, or original Warhols, or something else along those lines. Today, I went to three open houses and saw that one of them, a unit that is the same style as ours only in a corner building, is occupied by someone with the most impressive collection of ID badges ever. World Bank, UN, Congress, shit in several different foreign languages, Pimlico... you name it, he had been cleared to get into it.

2. If I wanted to have a date with a 40 year old Latin American man, I'd have a good selection from which to choose. It used to be that 40 year old Jewish men seemed to find their way to me, but not anymore. Something about me must have changed and now I have a new target demographic.

3. There was a period of time today when I thought for the first time in my life that maybe I could train to run a marathon one day. This period of time was very short lived. I ran for 90 minutes today, and somewhere in the middle of it, I felt so good that I thought that a marathon finish might be within my reach. Then I increased my pace and soon wanted to cry for my mother. By the time minute 90 rolled around, my knees were tired and achy and I was very happy about the prospect of stopping.

90 minutes is a pretty long time to run, so I thought it might be interesting for me to record all of the things I thought about today to motivate myself. I sent these thoughts around in my mind like a loop, because I bet that if I dwell on any one thing for too long, I will eventually stop caring about it and then feel that much closer to stopping mid-run. Anyway, I first thought about how I was probably jarring my skeleton around sufficiently for it to add more bone mass, hopefully building up my calcium reserves against the onset of osteoporosis. Then I thought about what I would eat when I finished running. Then I thought about how I wanted my abs to look tighter. Then I thought about how I wanted my butt to look better. Then I thought about being able to climb the mountains that I want to climb. Then I thought about my bones again, and it occurred to me that, as with so much in life, it's just not possible to do everything right. If you do enough high-impact exercise to spur your skeletal system on to new levels of density, you're at greater risk for joint injuries. And if you do lots of exercise of any kind, you'll need to eat more and therefore decrease your chance at a long life. The most reliably long-lived are the people on 1300 calories a day. Finally, I thought about how it's probably best to do what you enjoy, because that's about the only thing you can be sure of getting right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home