Friday, October 07, 2005

Damn You, Trojan.Adwaheck and W32.Sinnaka.A

The trusty computer was attacked recently by worms and adware. I'm not even sure what started it. One day, I fired up the computer for my breakfast email check and found that there already a wrench in the works. We spent a combined... 16 hours (?) attempting to patch things up and nearly going insane before we met with a moderate success.

I'm now convinced that some of these companies create spyware/adware/worm problems just so that they can create the only program capable of cleaning them off computers, and then charge people money for the use of it. It really sucked. Nothing worked, until Josh finally decided to try the one program that had been capable of delivering us from the evil of the Search Miracle Elite Bar several months ago. Incidentally, when I first ran Norton to combat the Adwaheck situation, it pointed up a few Search Miracle Elite Bar cookies that had apparently been lying dormant.

The end result is that the computer is mostly functional again, minus one nagging problem. The only new problem is that Norton, having been jolted into full function and updated out the wazoo, is now constantly alerting me to the fact that the computer detects another wireless network apart from our own. What I want to know is why the computer keeps getting distracted by this other network! It has a network all it's own, with a perfectly good signal. Why does Norton assume that I want to access the other? Why in the name of all that is holy was this fucking software created without an option in the drop down menu that lets me tell it to IGNORE THE OTHER FUCKING NETWORK?! Apparently, the beta tests did not involve any users who live in a city stacked on top of and alongside the wireless networks of their 50 closest neighbors.

I think that if the owners of the offending network would just bother to encrypt it a little, this problem would go away. I can see that other networks exist in my area, but the computer is obsessed with only the one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home