Sunday, October 02, 2005

My Brain is Tired

I had a really strange nightmare two nights ago. Most of my dreams are fairly run-of-the-mill, but once in a while, something remarkable pops out of the hopper.

Witness my dream of two nights ago:
I was at home, but not my current home or any other home I've ever had, with two other people. One of them was my mother, and the third was an unidentified man. I was in the living room with my mother and heard someone coming down the stairs, so I looked up to say hello. It turned out to be two criminals who had broken in. They menaced us with weapons and told us that they were going to take all of our possessions. I was afraid and very upset, and knew that my only hope was to get to the phone before the criminals could hurt us. The criminals herded my mother and me away upstairs, and took the unidentified man outside. I hoped that he would have an opportunity to get to a phone to call for help, but I knew that I couldn't count on it.

My mother and I went into an upstairs room, where the criminals guarded us and threatened to hurt us if we tried to stop them from taking our things. I was afraid that they were going to hurt us anyway, so I snuck into the bathroom to use the phone. The phone was dead. I went for my mobile phone and set it to silent mode so that it wouldn't make any sounds and alert the criminals to the fact that I was trying to call for help. I knew that if they found out that I was trying to use the phone, they would kill me.

One of the criminals figured out that I was hiding in the bathroom and tried to get me to come out, but I hadn't yet made my phone call. I lied to him and said that I had my period and really needed to deal with it, and I chose to say that because I was hoping that he would leave me alone out of a desire to avoid looking at it. It worked; he left me alone in the bathroom. I successfully called 911, explained the situation in a whisper, and begged them to help us.

The 911 operator refused to help us at all, and when I asked why, he said that it was because there was no one in the house at all except for me, and that I only thought that there were criminals menacing me because I was crazy. I tried very hard to convince him that he was wrong and to help me, but it turned out that he was right. I was crazy and I had no ability to identify reality.

I woke up in a heart-racing panic. It was possibly the worst dream I've ever had in my life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home