Wednesday, December 21, 2005

I Just Fell Over While Standing Stock Still In Rite Aid

I hurt my knee, I think during an unanticipated sprint yesterday, and now it's all messed up. I was standing in Rite Aid about an hour ago, trying to remember the third thing that I wanted to buy (it was mouthwash), when I locked my left knee. Every time I've done this today, it's felt hyperextended although I'm not sure that it ever actually was. It made a mushy sound that I felt rather than heard, I said, "ughghuh," and promptly fell over. I caught myself before I hit the ground and even before I dropped any of the other items I was carrying (lactaid, cotton wipes, and kitchen sponges), but it was still a strange experience. It didn't hurt me nearly as much as it disgusted me. The feeling of one's joints bending in the wrong direction is really creepy. I've been careful ever since to not lock my knee at all.

The reason behind yesterday's sprint was that the facocta (sp?) metro got me to CTF late and I was nervous about not being let in at all if I arrived too far after noon. I got to Metro Center alright, but then the screen on the orange/blue platform kept changing the ETA on the next train and I ended up waiting far longer than I originally thought I'd have to. I sprinted up the long escalator at Stadium/Armory and then sprinted the approximately 400 meters to the CTF entrance. It felt pretty good at the time, although I coughed for about 10 minutes afterward. I made it in time for my appointment and ended up feeling very happy that I'd bothered to run because a girl I recognized from the train trailed in after me and was penalized for lateness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home